Orthopedic Surgery in Decatur and Hartselle, AL
A patient experiencing pain or discomfort from the movement of a joint, bone, or muscle may require orthopedic surgery, which is dedicated to the treatment of injuries relating to the musculoskeletal system. Serving patients in Decatur and Hartselle, Alabama, the surgeons at DOC Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine specialize in performing orthopedic surgery using advanced techniques and technology. Learn more about orthopedic procedures and how our doctors use Mako SmartRobotics technology to provide high-quality care.
About Orthopedic Surgery
The musculoskeletal system includes a wide range of body parts that aid in movement, such as bones, muscles, ligaments, tendons, and joints. An orthopedic surgeon specializes in diagnosing and treating a vast number of injuries and improving overall well-being and quality of life. At DOC Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, the types of orthopedic surgeries we perform include:
- Joint replacement: This procedure involves replacing an affected joint with a prosthetic. Areas of focus typically include the knee, hip, or ankle.
- Shoulder injuries: Injuries related to the shoulder, such as rotator cuff, bicep tendon, and labrum tears, may be treated surgically.
- Foot and ankle injuries: Ankle injuries are common in the workplace and when playing sports. Orthopedic surgery can help treat an ankle that has been fractured. Damaged or torn ligaments in the toe, also known as turf toe, also can be repaired through orthopedic surgery.
- Hip injuries: A patient suffering from a hip fracture may benefit from surgical treatment.
- Knee injuries: The knee houses a variety of crucial ligaments contributing to the movement of the human body. When one of these ligaments (ACL, MCL, LCL, or MPFL) is torn or sprained, surgery may be needed.
- Hand, wrist, and elbow injuries: Patients who experience pain and discomfort in their hands or wrists may be suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome or another ailment. This condition, as well as fractures of the hand, wrist, and elbow, may be treated surgically.
Orthopedic Surgery and Mako SmartRobotics
Through the use of advanced technology called Mako SmartRobotics, surgeons at DOC Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine are able to perform orthopedic procedures with a high level of precision. This innovative technology works through 3D CT-based planning software that gives the surgeon an in-depth view of the patient’s anatomy. With this useful information, a personalized plan is created that allows the surgeons to only treat what is necessary for the procedure. By staying within predefined boundaries, a greater amount of healthy bone can be preserved.
Once the operation begins, the orthopedic surgeon is in complete control, guiding the Mako robotic arm within the surgical area. Because of Mako’s AccuStop technology, the surgeon guides the unit through the predetermined plan and can make sound adjustments to the procedure as necessary.
Learn More About Our Orthopedic Procedures
DOC Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine always strives to provide quality, innovative, and trusted care to patients in Decatur and Hartselle, AL. The orthopedic surgeries and procedures our physicians perform can treat a wide variety of injuries and conditions and help patients live healthy, active lives. To schedule an appointment or learn more about our orthopedic surgeries and the techniques, contact us today.