Joint Replacement in Decatur and Hartselle, Alabama
For nearly 50 years, DOC Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine has been helping patients in Decatur and Hartselle, Alabama, as well as the surrounding area. Many patients seek out DOC Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine for help with joint pain caused by arthritis. According to Cleveland Clinic, arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States, affecting millions of Americans. DOC Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine’s team of board-certified orthopedic surgeons can provide joint replacement surgery for patients with arthritis in the knee, shoulder, ankle, or hip.
The team at DOC Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine takes the time to get to know each patient and their unique medical history. We take a conservative care approach, utilizing medication, physical therapy, injections, and bracing to treat joint pain. If these methods are insufficient, surgery may be recommended. Surgical procedures offered at DOC Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine include:
Total ankle replacement is typically used to treat patients with arthritis in their ankles. Once arthritis has progressed, it can become difficult for a patient to walk, and they may experience ankle swelling and inflammation. The foot and ankle experts at DOC Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, led by Justin Daigre, MD, consult with each patient to determine if they are a candidate for total ankle replacement surgery if rest, physical therapy, and other conservative treatments have proven ineffective.
Learn more about Ankle Replacement
Total hip replacement uses an implant to replace parts of the hip joint that have become significantly damaged by arthritis or injury. Hip replacement can significantly improve quality of life and mobility, and hip implants can last for 10 years or more.
DOC Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine offers the following procedures for patients experiencing hip pain:
- Posterior approach total hip: This is the more traditional method of hip replacement, in which a surgeon accesses the hip joint through the muscles in the patient’s buttocks.
- Anterior approach total hip: This is a newer form of hip replacement surgery, in which the surgeon approaches the joint through the front of the hip, cutting through less muscle tissue than in a posterior approach.
- Total hip revisions: This type of surgery may be required to repair an artificial hip joint that has become damaged over time.
The surgeons that perform these procedures include:
Learn more about Hip Replacement
Total knee replacement surgery is extremely effective at reducing joint pain and improving quality of life. Many knee implants can last for 15 years or more. Patients with knee pain and arthritis that is not responsive to conservative treatment may qualify for total knee replacement.
Doctors at DOC Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine who provide knee replacement include:
Learn more about Knee Replacement
Arthritis in the shoulder joint can make it difficult to perform simple daily tasks, from running errands to folding laundry. To treat shoulder arthritis, DOC Orthopaedics, and Sports Medicine offers:
- Standard total shoulder replacement: This procedure replaces the ball in the shoulder’s ball and socket joint with a ball-shaped metal implant. If the patient also has a damaged socket, it is replaced with an artificial implant as well.
- Reverse total shoulder replacement: In this procedure, the surgeon replaces damaged bone with a plastic socket and metal ball, but the positions of the ball and socket are switched: part of the shoulder blade socket is replaced with an artificial ball, and a plastic socket is attached to the arm bone. This is typically recommended for patients with damaged tendons or a torn rotator cuff.
- Total shoulder revisions: Revision surgery repairs or replaces parts of the shoulder implant that have become damaged or worn down over time.
All three procedures help patients regain functionality and range of motion in their shoulder joint.
Shoulder surgery is performed by:
Learn more about Shoulder Replacement
Innovation in Joint Replacement
DOC Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine is proud to offer cutting-edge technology for joint replacement surgery. We have invested in Mako SmartRobotics an assistive technology that gives surgeons an increased level of precision, allowing them to cut less and protect more healthy bones. Mako SmartRobotics uses 3D planning software that helps create a personalized surgical plan for each patient. While the physician has complete control over the surgical equipment, the robotic technology allows the doctor to conduct the surgery with a higher degree of accuracy.
Get in Touch with DOC Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine
Arthritis pain shouldn’t keep patients from doing the things they love. Joint replacement surgery can help improve function and range of motion. With locations in Decatur and Hartselle, AL, DOC Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine utilizes the latest technology to help patients achieve positive outcomes. To learn more about joint replacement procedures, schedule an appointment today.